Financial aid for US students

Liverpool John Moores University participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direction Loan Programme.

We look forward to welcoming you to the UK and having you study with us. We have created these webpages to guide you through what you need to know about obtaining financial aid including the costs of education and how to apply for the funds you may need to complete your studies and enjoy your time at LJMU.

For students who take out Direct Loans the University will receive the monies from the US Treasury once students have confirmed their arrival/return to the University. The US loans are received in three equal instalments. The monies are received in £sterling, converted from the US dollar value at the day of transfer. Tuition fees are deducted from the three instalments and the balance will be paid direct into the students UK bank account. Under exceptional circumstances we can pay into a US bank account, but students should be aware that this will involve re-converting the loan back into US dollars and a subsequent reduction in value.

Please note, students are advised to budget for the first two weeks of term to allow processing time and any other delays to payments.

In addition to the Direct Loan Program the University also administers loans on behalf of private organisations, e.g. Sallie Mae or Navient Loans. These loans are paid once attendance has been confirmed directly to the students personal bank account. If you intend to use any loan organisation not listed above then please contact the University as soon as possible as this may require the University going through a registration process which can delay proceedings.

Below you'll find an overview of the types of loans available to U.S. students wishing to study with us. You can explore this section further for useful information such as how to apply and the eligibility requirements for both federal and private loans. You'll also find information on:

What types of loans are available to U.S. students?

Three types of loans are available to American students studying at Liverpool John Moores University:

  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans
  • Private loans (via Sallie Mae)

Choosing between a federal or private loan

Due to the competitive interest rate and repayment benefits that federal loans offer, you are advised to take any federal loan you are entitled to before considering any other type of loan. You can find a detailed comparison of federal and private loans on the Federal Student Aid website to help you decide.

Federal loans

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

Am I eligible for a federal loan?

What are the interest rates for federal loans?

What happens when I complete my degree?

How do I apply for a federal loan?

Private loans

The only private loan currently available to students attending a university outside of the U.S. is the Smart Option Loan from Sallie Mae. There are no origination fees and the interest rate will depend on your credit history and that of a co-signer.

For further information about this type of loan, including how to apply, and eligibility requirements please see the private loans page.

Veterans Affairs (VA) GI Bill benefits

Liverpool John Moores University has been approved by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to administer GI Bill benefits to eligible students. Our degree programmes do not have automatic approval from the VA. We are required to seek approval for specific degree programmes as and when eligible students enroll.

If you know you are eligible for GI Bill benefits and have been given an offer on a degree programme at LJMU, please contact Registry Services and include the following information:

  • full name
  • student ID number
  • social security number
  • intended programme of study

Please note: GI Bill benefits are only available to students on taught programmes with a physical presence at the University (therefore distance learning programmes are not eligible).

Once your degree programme has been approved by the VA, the University will submit an enrolment certificate on your behalf.

Information on the benefits available to veterans and eligibility criteria is available from the U.S. Department for Veterans Affairs.

Other loans and grants

Current federal legislation prohibits U.S. citizens enrolled at a university outside of the U.S. from receiving Pell Grants, SEOG, Perkins Loans and Federal Work Study Funds.

Further information

If you need help with understanding any of the terminology used within this section, please visit the Federal Student Aid website for a glossary of terms.

If you have any questions about obtaining U.S. financial aid to study at LJMU please contact us.