Working in the UK

Information on working while studying

Whether you are able to work and under what conditions is determined by the type of immigration permission or visa that you hold while you are in the UK.

Generally, on a Student visa or Tier 4 visa for study at LJMU, employment is permitted but with certain conditions and restrictions.

Under normal circumstances, employment is prohibited if studying at LJMU with permission to be in the UK as a visitor or as a short-term student.

If you are in the UK with a status other than a Student/Tier 4 visa or a Visitor/Short-term student immigration then permission employment conditions and restrictions depend on the conditions of the immigration permission you hold.

Working in the UK after your studies

For many International Student Graduates, the Graduate Visa route will be the most straightforward route to apply to, to be able to work in the UK. However, there are other work visa routes available to students.

For options for switching within the UK from a Student visa to a work visa please visit UK Council for International Student Affairs.

Here you will find information about each route, helpful guidance and links to the relevant Immigration Rules, guidance for applicants and for Home Office caseworkers, and the appropriate application forms.

Faq Items

Working during your studies

The Graduate Route

Working in the UK after studies - other visa routes